P1FCU was organized by 12 employees of Potlatch Forests Inc. and the original organization certificate was issued by the Farm Credit Administration on April 29th, 1938. The first organizational meeting was held almost one month later on May 20th, 1938, where 9 board members were elected after being nominated by the first nominating committee who was appointed by the original incorporators. Since May 20th, 1938, there has been a regular monthly board meeting for the credit union, per our bylaws. Over 75 years, that is more than 900 meetings!
P1FCU was formed by an organized group of people with a common bond who pooled their assets to provide loans and other financial services to each other. The first transactions were conducted out of the trunk of a car and funds were kept secure in a cigar box. By the end of their first year of operation the credit union grew to 353 members.